Sunday 17 June 2012

A tale of the loaves ...without the fish!

Sunday School was a big part of my Sunday as a child. One of my favourite stories shared in Bible class was the story or parable of the two loaves and the five fishes and how it was multiplied to feed the masses. Well there's no fish in this story, but I'm definitely doing some multiplication.

The Beatty chocolate cake is one of my all time favourites. I saw Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, make this cake and it was an effortless exercise for her... truth be told, it is effortless. The joy is the amazing result you get for so little work.

For those of you who've been following my posts, you know I always say make these recipes your own but this one is perfect just the way it is. The only changes I made to this divine dessert were to bake two loaves instead of the two-tiered cake that Ina does. I also added semi-sweet chocolate chips and chunks of Callebaut Dark chocolate- yes it's turned into a chocofest!

And this is where my multiplication comes in because I am using the recipe for one cake and making two. Here's the trick!
It's Ina's recipe in its entirety, I just added the chunks of chocolate and the chips. I divided the batter into two 9"x5" bread tins, of course greased and floured. I would also strongly advise that you line your tins with parchment paper because this cake will be very moist and has a tendency to stick in the pan, regardless of how well you grease and flour. The photo below gives you an idea of what your cakes will look like. bake the loaves for 30 mins at 350 degrees F.


Two loaves made from the batter for one Beatty Chocolate cake


 
Layer on the chocolate butter cream


This buttercream is the creamiest, most luscious ever. It's like velvet on your tongue and a romance story on your tastebuds. I kid you not. It applies like silk. It's shiny without being runny. It's perfect and you can have the cake just like this because this is how Ina serves hers but on Bobbilicious, I make my own twists to the treid, tested and true.


Drizzle with chocolate ganache and top with chocolate chips
I add chocolate ganache. This chocolate ganache I made without heavy cream. Here's how it's done. Just melt butter in whole milk in a sauce-pan, throw in the chunks of semi-sweet chocolate. Melt the chocolate thoroughly stirring constantly. You can put the ganache in the refrigerator to cool. This helps to bring the ganache to the consistency you want to so that it drizzles perfectly. You want the perfect viscosity. And lastly, throw on the chocolate chips in the most ramdom way! This cake is fun... every bite a joy especially for chocolate lovers like myself.

And voila! There it is, all boxed and rearing to go!






2 comments:

  1. This Blog is very well done and Im very impressed. Keep up the great work BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Auntie and thanks for checking it out. There were somrthings in the settings I had to adjust

      Delete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.