Monday 21 May 2012

Getting to the base of it!

No, this is not a blog about cheesecakes...it's a blog about food but I have been getting great feedback and some questions on what can be used for the base of ceesecakes that I thought I would share in this post. Thank you so much in advance for the feedback and questions, please keep them coming.

We are familiar with the cliche, "the icing on the cake". It's used to refer to the best part of anything. Well for lovers of cheesecake, sometimes the proverbial "icing on the cake" is the base of the cheesecake.

Here's my suggestion because it's what I use. For chocolate lovers, substitute the Digestive or Graham cracker base for a chocolate cookie base. Use Oreo cookies, or Tea time or Domino biscuits (local versions of the Oreo dark chocolate classic cookie).

Follow the process I shared with you previously in my post My Baileys Espresso Cheesecake just substitute out the Digestive/ Graham crackers for the dark chocolate cookies.

Ingredients

For the base
8 oz. dark chocolate cookie crumbs (Oreos, Teatime or Dominoes work like a charm)*
2 tbsp. of butter
* because these are cookies, you will need to separate the biscuits and remove the cream filling BEFORE you mash the biscuits to crumbs

Grease and flour an 8" baking pan and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. I like using springform pans for cheesecakes because the sides of the tin is so easy to remove but a regular baking pan will work just fine...remember, always keep it simple.

Mash your biscuits in a sealed plastic bad to avoid getting crumbs all over the place. Make sure you have good, smoothe, even crumbs. I use a rolling pin to get this done. Pour your crumbs into a bowl. In the microwave melt the butter and pour the melted butter over the crumbs and mix evenly.

Pack this crumb and butter mixture evenly into the base of your baking tin. Make sure you get your crumbs evenly to the sides as well. Put this into the oven and bake for approximately 12- 15 mins. Take the baking tin out of the oven and cool on a wire rack. Easy peasy! Now reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

This is a picture of a chocolate cheesecake with an Oreo cookie crust

Chocolate cheesecake with Oreo cookie base and oodles of Chantilly cream
So try these options. I hope these suggestions were helpful and look out for more on Bobbilicious!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I love an oreo cookie crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Can I tell you what an honour it is to have had you read my post! I am a HUGE fan of your Blog and I look forward to posting on your Blog when I try your recipes! Thanks for you comment...you just boosted my confidence and made my day1 You take care

      Delete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.